This is a great alternative to a traditional grain/ fruit based granola. Rich in essential fatty acids, protein, fibre, B vitamins, calcium, magnesium and low in sugar – a small bowl of this for breakfast or as a snack will keep your tummy full and your brain happy 🙂 Feel free to vary the nuts/ seeds/ spices to suit your palate!
Makes 7-10 serves
1 cup of almonds
2 tbsp each of sesame, sunflower, chia seeds, pepitas
2 tbsp coconut oil (organic, extra virgin, cold pressed)
2 tbsp honey
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- Place almonds, sesame, sunflower and pepita seeds in a bowl, submerge with filetered water (add a pinch of salt) and soak for 6-8 hours
- Strain off water
- Preheat oven to 50 degrees celsius and line two baking trays with baking paper
- Place soaked ingredients into a food processor
- Add coconut oil, honey and cinnamon and pulse until you reach desired consistency (or chop by hand)
- Spread the granola mixture onto the prepared trays and bake at low heat until dry and crunchy (8-12 hours)
- Add chia seeds and store in an airtight jar
- Serve with coconut yoghurt and berries
* This method is time consuming but maximises nutrient retention and is the most easily digestible.
An alternative method is to skip steps 1 and 2 and preheat oven to 150-160 degrees celsius. Place unsoaked nuts, seeds and other ingredients into the food processor and continue as per step 5. Bake for 10-20 minutes until lightly golden.